Conservation club marching for awareness

Kate Ferguson, Staff Reporter

With the new additions to our government, there has been several marches on Washington D.C. to raise awareness about everything from women’s rights to science.  The new Conservation Club will add themselves to the ranks of the People’s Climate March on April 29 in order to promote climate change awareness. The People’s Climate March aims to bring people together in order to raise awareness about the climate crisis. Occurring since 2014, organizers picked  this year’s date because it will be the 100th day of the Trump Administration.

The Conservation Club promotes activism towards environmental issues, but also celebrates the world we live in. “I want to make sure other people are aware of all the things that are going wrong in the environment today,” senior Claire Mills said, “It’s so easy to be passive, and not worry about the fact that buying a cup of coffee from Starbucks causes an incredible amount of waste.”

The Conservation Club will be teaming up with UVA Virginia Student Environmental Coalition to take a bus to Washington and let their voices be heard. They are looking for passionate students to go with them and let the real issues of today’s environment be projected loud and clear.

The group will be transported for free and all that is required is an online form that can be found here. The online form is necessary, as the trip is not organized directly by the Conservation Club. Though there is no deadline to sign up, the group suggests that students should sign up soon..

“The idea is that we can bring as many students as we want,” senior Andrew Carlisle said, “because we have to make sure we can spread our cause.” The club plans to have most of their members go, but students from all over the school who are passionate about the environment, or just want to be a part of something big are always welcome.

More information about the People’s Climate March can be found here.