Patriots Dominate Powhatan

• The boys’ soccer team defeated the Powhatan Indians 7-0 under the lights on May 14.

• The Patriots help injured goalscorer, Adonis Krasniqi after scoring the sixth goal of the game.

Alex Leslie, Online Editor

Under the Thursday night lights of May 14, the Patriots defeated a returning opponent, the Powhatan Indians, 7-0.

Recent William & Mary commit Marcel Berry started as Albemarle’s sole striker for the night. After just 10 minutes of dominant possession Berry slotted in the first goal. Powhatan’s goalkeeper made an excellent attempt but couldn’t keep the ball from the back of the net.

Just three minutes later Berry struck again with a quick strike set up by sophomore Junior Rivera-Hernandez.

After his second goal in just 15 minutes of play Head Coach Jeff Balnave took him off. With an early lead and domination of possession, it was time to let the rest of the team onto the stage.

With 19 minutes left in the first half the Indians gave up a free kick 20 feet outside of the goalie box. Junior Brendan Moyers stepped up to curl it into the unsuspecting calf of fellow junior Grant Kersey.

Two minutes before the half-time whistle, senior Jesus Duran was called offsides but finished his shot anyway resulting in a very questionable and Patriot-contested yellow card, slimming the senior’s playing time.

At the start of the second half Berry was back up top for the Patriots and made an instant impact once again. Five minutes after kickoff Berry was breaking away in the goalie box. The Powhatan defender lashed out in desperation bringing the senior down hard. A penalty kick ensued with Moyers at the spot. With no time wasted Moyers struck for goal and continued his jog to his teammates to celebrate the fourth goal of the night.

Goals from seniors Aidan Toms and Adonis Krasniqi caused Powhatan players to yell, throw up their arms in disgust and even ignore one another.

The crowds began to file out of the stadium with five minutes left in the blow-out victory. They were surprised to get yet another goal from freshman Andrew Weber.

The Patriots’ eighth clean sheet of the year came from the outstanding defensive work of senior Jack Hensien and junior Jordan Parks.
Albemarle’s outstanding defense, powerful attack and consistent midfield set the Patriots above the rest with 14 wins, zero loses and one tie (against CHS). The Patriots surge toward the postseason looking to return to the VHSL State Championship game, where they fell short last year.