The official news site of Albemarle High School.

10 Things to do in VA This Summer

May 16, 2014

Have you ever wondered what there is to do in Charlottesville in the summer? You have come to the right place. You don’t have to travel far to experience all the fun Charlottesville has to offer. Listed below are the top 10 things to do over the summer.

10. The Paramount- Ash Lawn Opera is performing the Fiddler on the Roof at the Paramount from July 31 to August 8. Tickets for students are $12.50.

“[The Paramount] is nice, it has a jazzy feeling. I saw two plays there with good actors and directors,” junior Tracy Villa said.

Classic movies such as Dr. Dolittle, Bad News Bears, and Dazed and Confused are all being shown in June for $6 a ticket. The World Cup is being shown in July. The Paramount is showing the USA vs. Ghana and the USA vs. Portugal for free on their enormous screen.

9. Cooking classes at Boars Head- Ever wanted to bake delicious foods in one of the prettiest spots in Charlottesville? You can now take cooking classes at Boars Head. Learn to prepare pastries, pork tenderloins, fruit salsas, and salads. The added perk, you get to cook with the chef himself. The classes are designed for groups between 10-40 people. To make cakes or desserts it is $40 and to make an entree is $90.

8. Bowling League- Have you always known you belong on the bowling team, just to find out that Albemarle doesn’t have one? You can join a summer league at Kegler’s Lanes. Practice your game for weeks during the summer so you can show your friends that you have what it takes to be the bowling champion.

Each league starts in May and runs for 14-16 weeks, where you practice one day a week. You can sign up online if you’re interested.

7. Shenandoah National Park- Shenandoah is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains, just west of Albemarle. You can do any outdoor activity imaginable, such as hiking to see beautiful views of the mountains or waterfalls, fishing, and biking. “There is a huge waterfall where people jump off,” Villa said.

Horseback riding is also popular in the mountains. “I took my horse up to the mountain for a 50 mile, four day trail ride,” sophomore Ashley Divine said.

Visitor centers are open daily from 9am-5pm.

6. The Jefferson- One of Charlottesville’s best kept secrets, it showcases unique vocal artists, some artists who you have never heard of before, and others whose songs you know by heart. “[The Jefferson] is very festive with a wide range of ages,” Madame Sharon Lloyd said.

On June 13, Fitz and the Tantrums, who most recently toured with Bruno Mars on his Moonshine Jungle Tour in 2013, make a stop at The Jefferson.

5. Forest Lakes Farmers Market and the City Market- In Forest Lakes on Tuesdays from 4- 7pm you can find the farmers market. They sell all kinds of goods from plump, red tomatoes, to sweet delectable honeys and jams.

The Charlottesville City Market is open Saturdays 7am-12pm. “There’s a lot of good food, such as donuts,” Divine said.

4. Monticello- Everyone knows of Monticello, but did you know about the Annual Naturalization Ceremony? The ceremony welcomes naturalized citizens, non-citizens who are now becoming US citizens. It includes the Charlottesville Municipal Band and always has a featured speaker. Past speakers have included President George W. Bush and actor Sam Waterston, who is famous for portraying Jack McCoy in Law and Order.

3. Upcoming Movies- Many highly anticipated movies happen to be coming to theaters this summer. In May, the true story of Indian cricket players recruited to play American baseball, Million Dollar Arm comes to town May 16. Action packed movies such as Godzilla and X-Men: Days of Future Past enter theaters May 16 and May 23. In June and July, the young adult novel turned movie, The Fault in Our Stars hits theaters June 6. Sequels such as Transformers: Age of Extinction and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes will appear in theaters June 27 and July 11.

2. Carter Mountain Orchard- The Peach Festival comes to Carter Mountain July 26 and 27. During the Peach Festival you can enjoy hayrides, pie eating contests, and peach picking. At the bakery you can enjoy such sweets as warm, fresh peach cider donuts, kettle corn, peach pie, ice cream, and cider slushies. On Thursdays various artists come by to show off their  talents. Music genres include country, folk, rock, jazz, contemporary, and bluegrass. Apple picking is also available throughout the summer.

1. Rocky Top Climbing- Test your skills on the rock walls and see how high you can make it before falling. There is also an exercise room equipped with treadmills, free weights, elliptical machines, stair steppers, and life cycles. In addition to climbing and working out, you can also try your hand at racketball.

Located in Charlottesville is the Rocky Top Climbing Center, “It’s a big room, three of the four walls have actual rock climbing walls. [Rock climbing] is a fun experience and I enjoyed the challenge,” sophomore Carrie Chang said.