The official news site of Albemarle High School.

Netflix Welcomes “Gilmore Girls”

Online Exclusive

December 9, 2014

Gilmore Girls came to Netflix on October 1.

“Gilmore Girls” came to Netflix on October 1.

Online Exclusive

Netflix frequenters in search of a warmhearted and witty TV dramedy, look no further. As of Oct. 1, the WB’s critically acclaimed “Gilmore Girls” became available on demand, ready to attract a new generation of high school and college students – and their moms.

The show, which ran from 2000-2007, follows the lives of spunky, charismatic Lorelai Gilmore (Lauren Graham) and her sharp, type A daughter Rory (Alexis Bledel) as together they face life’s challenges in a quintessential New England town: Stars Hollow, Connecticut.

Together the leading ladies work to achieve their long term goals: Lorelai wants to own an inn with her best friend, Sookie (Melissa McCarthy), while Rory hopes to survive her competitive prep school and go on to attend an Ivy League college.

Rory and Lorelai distinguish themselves from typical television heroines not only by their love of diverse books and movies and their incurable junk food addiction, but by their unusually close mother daughter relationship. After having Rory at 16, Lorelai raised her daughter alone- though not without the occasional input from her wealthy, snobbish parents.

“We always had a democracy in this house,” Lorelai tells Rory in the pilot episode. “We never did anything unless we both agreed. But now I guess I’m going to have to play the mom card.” Lorelai seldom strays from her usual role of Rory’s bestie, except in this case when Rory has second thoughts about her new prep school, thanks to the cute boy at her old school.

“Guys are great. I am a huge fan of guys,” Lorelai goes on. “But, babe, guys are always going to be there. This school isn’t. It’s more important. It has to be more important.”

The cast features a variety of well-developed contributing characters whose recurring appearances create the vibe of close-knit small town, including Luke Danes, the grumpy but lovable owner of the town’s diner; Kirk, the town oddball; Miss Patty and Babette, the town’s older gossips; and Taylor, the bossy but well-intended town selectman.

As for Sookie, modern audiences more familiar with McCarthy’s recent roles will be pleasantly surprised to watch her as a milder, but unquestionably hilarious character. Sooky adds sweetness and goofiness that perfectly complements Graham’s upbeat but occasionally cynical portrayal of Lorelai.

In addition to these familiar faces, the show includes many a cute boy interested in one of the titular blue-eyed beauties. Rory’s romantic interests range from sweet, dopey Dean to Jess, Luke’s leather-clad nephew who epitomizes a “bad boy.” Meanwhile, Lorelai struggles to find the right man for herself, facing the complications of Rory’s father occasionally coming back into their lives, usually with undesirable consequences.

Amid the show’s fast paced dialogue and quick witted humor, one of the strengths of “Gilmore Girls” is its relatability. Lorelai and Rory’s problems are applicable to ladies of any age, even though they tackle life’s burdens clad in 2000-esque outfits, sans iPhones, always clutching coffee or heading to the grocery store for snacks.

“Do we want marshmallows?” Rory asks as they peruse the aisles of the local market, stocking up for a movie night featuring Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

“Mmm…and jelly beans and chocolate kisses,” Lorelai agrees. “Cookie dough we have at home. Peanut butter. Ooh, do you think they have that thing that’s like a sugar stick on one side but then you dip it in the sugar on the other side then you eat it?”

“We are going to be so sick. It’s amazing that we still function,” Rory replies.

While in the words of Lorelai, “my babbling capabilities are infinite” when it comes to my love of “Gilmore Girls”, the show’s ultimate triumph lies in the characterizations and chemistry of Graham and Bledel. Besides looking uncannily similar, the leads bounce off of each other effortlessly, portraying mother-and-daughter/best friends with unquestioning conviction.

At its essence, “Gilmore Girls” is a feel good show. While it evokes both tears and laughter from its audience, ultimately no problem is too big for the main characters to remedy together, cups of coffee in hand. Seven seasons might seem excessive, but the show (particularly seasons 2-6) is worth the watch. The accessibility of the characters and situations, against the idyllic backdrop of Stars Hollow, makes “Gilmore Girls” a must-see for women of all ages.