Everlasting Life and Love

AHS Players present the spring musical Tuck Everlasting

• Mae Tuck (senior Phoebe Giordano), Angus Tuck (junior Jacob Frysinger), Jesse Tuck (senior Ezra Smith) and Miles Tuck (junior Soren Corbett) drink from the magical spring that gives them eternal life.

• One of the carnies (freshman Finnegan Driscoll) performs a cartwheel at the fair.

• Jesse Tuck sings “Partners in Crime” along with the ensemble.

• Jesse Tuck (senior Ezra Smith) and Winnie Foster (senior Hope King) sing “Top of the World” from the tree above the magical spring.

• The One In The Yellow Suit examines Jesse Tuck’s feet in an attempt to guess his actual age.

• The One In The Yellow Suit (senior Eliza Banazak) plots with some of the carnies to find the secret to eternal life.

Kayla McQuilkin, Staff Reporter

In this year’s spring musical AHS Players will be exploring themes such as the value of life, love, and time, through their production of Tuck Everlasting. The talented students of AHS will use song and dance to bring this book to life on stage. 

The musical is adapted from the children’s story by Natalie Babbitt. The story follows the character Winnie Foster as she discovers the magical secret of the Tuck family and is led on a life-changing adventure. 

“It’s about how time is the greatest gift anyone could ask for,” assistant director junior Korinne Brier said. “Yes, the plot follows Winnie and Jessie and their adventures, but it also teaches Winnie a lesson: living your life is more valuable than living forever.” 

Brier recommended the show to musical director/drama teacher Sal Giordano in the late fall. “Since I loved the musical so much, I already had a whole vision for what it would look like. When we were approved to perform the show, my visions got the chance to come to life,” Brier said. 

Tuck Everlasting touches on many important topics, the preciousness of time being the most important message. 

“One thing I hope the audience will get is the symbolism throughout the show. One of my big ideas is that the ensemble represents ‘time’ itself. So the ensemble’s movement throughout the musical shows how time has passed, especially in the final number,” Brier said. 

The musical features a variety of characters as well as an ensemble. One of the main characters in the story is Mae Tuck, played by senior Phoebe Giordano.

“What I enjoy about playing Mae is how down to earth she is. She may have been alive for over 100 years, but still has so much love for her family and a strong moral compass that I personally respect,” she said. 

Students started rehearsing in late February and have been working diligently on perfecting the production ever since. “Putting on this musical has been so amazing. Our cast and crew have built a relationship that is so wonderful and welcoming over the past few months,” Brier said. “As a group, we know how to get things done on time, and have fun at the same time.”

For seniors like Giordano, this musical will be the last production they perform at AHS. “Since it’s my last show at AHS, the entirety of the rehearsal process has been a little bittersweet; knowing that I’m doing all these things I love in this department for the last time,” she said. “There have been some stressful parts, and will continue to be such, but I know it will pay off.”

“I just hope the audience enjoys this musical as much as we have enjoyed working on it,” Brier said.

The show premieres this Thursday, May 19 at 7 p.m. and runs May 20-21 and May 26-28 at 7 p.m. Performances on May 21, 22, 28, and 29 also have matinees at 2 p.m. 

Tickets are can be purchased at https://search.seatyourself.biz/webstore/accounts/ahspresents/buy-tix?landingMessageSeen=true