• November 3Graduation is June 3 at John Paul Jones Arena
  • November 3New Bell Schedule Begins Feb. 26
  • November 3Spring Break is March 29 - April 7
  • June 13Underclass Picture Days are Sept. 7-8
  • June 13First Day of School is August 23
  • June 13Free Senior Portraits on August 2-3
The official news site of Albemarle High School.

The Revolution

The Revolution

The Revolution

Hidden Gems: flipturn’s ‘Heavy Colors’ EP

The Revolution uncovers the best “new” entertainment for you
The cover art of flipturn’s 2017 debut EP, Heavy Colors. Image from Spotify.

It’s the time of year when we look forward to warm-weather music. And nothing says warm weather like driving around with the windows down and blasting flipturn. You might know the indie rock band for their sun-soaked EP, Citrona, but don’t overlook their other releases — namely, their 2017 debut EP, Heavy Colors

Though flipturn has grown to national fame, performing in major music festivals like Lollapalooza, they once started out as a garage band in Fernandina Beach, Florida, where they wrote Heavy Colors. As a first release, the EP is a bit rough around the edges. However, the personality and passion put into it shows — flipturn’s identity was apparent from the start.

If you are a fan of The Backseat Lovers or Hippo Campus, you’ll love Heavy Colors’ sonic storytelling. The five-track release is an aural pocket of summertime — young love, adventure and self-exploration. With a buoyancy made incredibly entrancing by lead singer Dillon Basse’s expressive vocals, the band sucks you into their cinematic world of sea and sunlight.

Opening with “Beep,” the vocals and bass start out soft and simmering like a live wire. They then build up to a dynamic guitar performance by Tristan Duncan, making the first and last minutes of the song pack a punch. However, the second verse drags on, as the instrumentals get muddled before teetering back into place after the refrain. 

“Vanilla” is anything but vanilla, with Basse’s melodic vocals on display throughout the track. His voice is raw, yet intimate, almost like he is singing directly to you. Meanwhile, the drums and bass ground a strong guitar melody to add depth and cohesion to the instrumentals.

Using the Windy City as a metaphor for beauty in spontaneity, “Chicago” encourages listeners to embrace the unknown gifts of life. This and “Vanilla” are the strongest tracks on the EP, driving home flipturn’s trademark feel of nostalgia. 

The band gives each member a moment to shine by creating a magnetic mix of vocals and instrumentals that radiates warmth. These songs capture the impassioned nature of youth: a perfect summer storm and the sun that follows it. 

Although the EP is not as technically sound as flipturn’s later releases, it weaves an experience so tangible that you can practically smell the salt air. Heavy Colors is about more than curating a sound, it’s about creating a feeling — one that will bring joy to even your coldest, darkest days. 

The EP is available to stream on Spotify, Youtube Music, Apple Music or Pandora.