The official news site of Albemarle High School.

Jenna Petty and the Broken Hearts

May 16, 2014

Jenna Petty and the Broken Hearts will perform May 16 at the Lit Mag Open Mic Release Party.

The four freshmen emerge from the band rooms after hearing the bell. The group finished Wednesday’s practice during CHAT with all members present, nothing short of a miracle.

Jenna Petty and the Broken Hearts practice Wednesdays and Thursdays during CHAT. The band, consisting of Anthony Hoang, Sam Rainey and Sam Nordbrock, just started off this year and record their music on the closest cell phone in the band practice rooms.

“I was bored one day and there was a practice room open,” freshman Anthony Hoang said. “ So we went in there and made some music.”

The Broken Hearts’ music ranges from jazz to pop and everywhere in between. They have recently done covers of “Get Lucky” by Daft Punk and “New Soul” by Yael Naim. For their original, they expanded the field of creativity.

“We call it Number One,” Petty said. “And I wrote it.”

The Broken Hearts consist of Anthony Hoang, Sam Rainey and Sam Nordbrock.

This new band got their first gig at the coffeehouse hosted by Sutherland Middle School on Feb. 14.

“It was nice to get back to the place where we all started,” Petty said. “ The performance went great and everyone loved us.”

Jenna Petty and the Broken Hearts capitalize on the pianist, Jenna Petty’s similar name to rock and roll Hall of Famer Tom Petty. The band’s witty name and humble beginnings give listeners both a laugh and a nice tune.

“This band loves making music and having fun,” said Hoang.

Jenna Petty and the Broken Hearts will perform on May 16 at the Lit-mag Release Party and Open Mic from 7:00 to 9:00 PM.