The official news site of Albemarle High School.

The Strangest Angels

May 16, 2014

(Left to Right) Tess Przyuski, Kayla Gavin, and emma Umberger pose in their cover photo of The Strangest Angels

The process begins with a simple scribble of a pen. It leads to the satisfying click as the pen is placed on the desk. After minutes of revising there comes a thump of the drums. The beat of the heart sets the rhythm and everything blossoms from there.

The Strangest Angels is an all-girl indie rock band. The band is composed of freshmen Tess Przyuski, Emma Umberger, Abigail Treece and Kayla Gavin.

Przyuski, the guitarist, scratches down some words and hands it to the rest of the girls. The girls choose the instruments they think best fits the song.

“[We] come up with our own part on our instrument of choice and basically play it a million times,” Przyuski said.

The ensemble begins as the girls form the music. After “two to four days” of recording, Przyuski the girls upload their work into the computer. After some editing and tuning, the computer magically spits out the finished product: locally made indie rock.

The Strangest Angels started in 2010, and were inspired by a middle school choir performance.

“The choir at my middle school was singing “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” for a performance and, after some pleading, my friend and I were given permission to back up the choir with a band,” Pryzuski said. “We got some people together and then decided that we liked playing together.”

The girls began their journey, practicing every Friday. The girls faced their biggest gig in 2012, a Battle of the Bands at the Music Resource Center in Charlottesville.

Since then the girls have made a radio appearance. “ It was a simple interview with Wendy Edwards on 1070 WINA. They played one of our songs, ‘Stars,’” Przyuski said.

The girls, middle-schoolers at the time, stood alongside four high school bands and before a panel of judges. The stage overlooked “the largest group of complete strangers we had ever played for,” Umberger said.

The girls were too young to formally compete, but were the opening act.

“It was big for us because we were way younger than everyone else competing, but we still did fairly well,” Umberger said.

The Angels hope to continue performing at gigs and expand their song selection. For now they will continue practicing in their makeshift recording studio in their basement.

The Strangest Angels do not have any gigs scheduled; however, their music can be downloaded for free at: thestrangestangels.bandcamp.com