• November 3Graduation is June 3 at John Paul Jones Arena
  • November 3New Bell Schedule Begins Feb. 26
  • November 3Spring Break is March 29 - April 7
  • June 13Underclass Picture Days are Sept. 7-8
  • June 13First Day of School is August 23
  • June 13Free Senior Portraits on August 2-3
The official news site of Albemarle High School.

The Revolution

The Revolution

The Revolution

Women’s History Month Spotlight: Assistant Principal Leilani Keys

Keys discusses her experiences as a woman in educational administration
Anna Zheng
Assistant principal Leilani Keys dicusses what it’s like to be a woman in educational administration and what Women’s History Month means to her.

March is dedicated to highlighting the accomplishments and hardships of women throughout history. This year’s Women’s History Month theme, as designated by the National Women’s History Alliance, is “Women Who Advocate for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.” 

Here are a few stories from the women who embody the 2024 Women’s History Month Theme that are making their mark on AHS history.

Assistant principal Leilani Keys hopes women are treated fairly, but knows they aren’t always. That’s why she strives to create an equitable environment at AHS where students of all backgrounds and identities are heard and served.

Keys has a history of promoting diversity and supporting minority groups. She is one of the educators who initiated the ACPS CRT (Culturally Responsive Teaching) program for teachers nine years ago, making ACPS the first public school system in Virginia to implement CRT in professional development.

As an administrator today, Keys takes on different roles in AHS, from safety and instructional oversight to advocating for student equity. 

“Being a woman makes me much more sensitive to women’s issues, and how women are treated on our campus in curriculum and instruction,” Keys said. She thinks it’s important for administrators like herself to be good listeners for the community and be mindful of the issues that young women face.

One such issue is gender-based pricing, commonly known as pink tax, which often applies to menstrual products and other products marketed towards women. At AHS, free menstrual products are provided by donations through the EmpowerHer club, but are not always available in the newer bathrooms. “That is one challenge we’re seeing for women at our school,” Keys said, “and it’s something we need to be aware of.”

Working in a traditionally female industry like education doesn’t always protect women from discrimination. 

“Women, especially women of color, face a lot of gender and racial discrimination, no matter what career they’re in. Education is no exception.”

— Leilani Keys

“Women, especially women of color, face a lot of gender and racial discrimination, no matter what career they’re in. Education is no exception, especially educational administration.”

Though most teachers are female, men outnumber women among administrative staff in secondary schools, leading to unconscious bias in treatment towards female administrators, she said.

This drove her to attend Mills College, a women’s college, for her graduate program after graduating from UCLA. “I wanted to be in an environment where women were so highly valued, because their voices were the only student voices in the school.”

Keys says her choice was worth it for the comfort and representation it brought her. “We really centered on women’s issues, and women of color felt confident to be empowered.”

Keys is “pleased” to work in ACPS because of the diversity in administration, with women being represented equally or more in the Superintendent’s Cabinet and School Board. “We have a lot of strong women in our division and leadership roles who do amazing things and who’ve overcome a lot to be in the positions of power that they’re in,” she said.

“As a young woman, sometimes you’re not confident with your voice. I felt really supported by female mentors that cared about me and guided me to be all that I can be.” 

— Leilani Keys

Through it all, what empowers Keys is support from other women — mentors, fellow mothers, peers. “As a young woman, sometimes you’re not confident with your voice,” she said.

Living by their example has taught her how to speak up for herself and create safe communities for women. “I felt really supported by female mentors that cared about me and guided me to be all that I can be.”