The official news site of Albemarle High School.

Student Art Abounds Around Town

March 26, 2014

Over the last two weeks all Albemarle County Public schools have been featured in the 21st Annual Visual Arts Festival. Located in the Fashion Square Mall, it displayed paintings, photographs, and sculptures.

All along the hallways in the mall were black walls. Each school got a separate wall for their paintings and photographs. In addition to a wall, each school also got a table to display their pottery and sculptures.

Photographs were taken from all over Charlottesville. Sculptures ranged in various topic such as dragons and bugs. There were self portraits and stills. You can find the perfect piece of artwork for you to look at there.

Many people stop and look at the artwork. People walking by take the time to stop and admire students artwork.

Art is selected by art, photography, and sculpture teachers based on accuracy and grade level.

The students who got their artwork in the art festival feel a sense of pride. “It feels like I am accomplishing something, I am making progress,” freshman Claire Flores said. Her photograph “Gears” was featured in the display.

“It makes me feel grateful for the opportunity.”

Getting artwork into the Visual Arts Festival also encouraged students to pursue the art outside of school. “I might try to get an internship or personal study for it,” sophomore Rachel Schiebel said. Her photograph “Downtown” was displayed in the feastival.

You still have time to catch all the art. It is now being shown at CitySpace until March 26.