Six Steps for Keeping Coronavirus at Bay

Anya Rothman, Staff Writer

From coronavirus to the common cold, sicknesses are in full swing this season.

Both students and teachers should know to take steps to prevent becoming sick, be able to determine the severity of your sickness, and work to keep from spreading illness.

The basic symptoms of a cold are a runny nose, fatigue, coughing, and sneezing. Flu symptoms include a fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, body or headaches, chills, loss of energy and vomiting.

It’s important if you think you have the flu or something worse, that you go see a doctor.

To prevent catching and spreading sickness, it is important that you follow the following steps:

Wash Hands

Although the most recurring advice of all, washing your hands is the most important step to staying sickness-free. Washing hands is essential to staying healthy. It is crucial to, not only wash your hands after going to the bathroom, but also before and after eating, touching animals, dressing wounds, and sneezing and coughing. It is also ideal to wash your hands as soon as you get home from school.

To correctly wash your hands, first, wet your hands. Then, put soap on your hands, and scrub for twenty seconds, making sure to get all of your hands and up your wrists. Rinse off your hands, and fully dry them.

While antibacterial soap may sound extra-cleansing, it will not work against a virus. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, there is no research to show that it is any better than regular soap, so you would be better buying usual soap.

Avoid Contact with Sick People

It may seem obvious, but it is crucial to avoid sick people. It doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t see them, but keep try and keep a few feet away from them. 

Do not share food or drink, and try not to use any supplies after them. Many teachers have hand sanitizer, so you can wipe down classroom supplies before using them.

Disinfect Keyboards and Phones

Many people don’t realize it, but your cell phone is one of the worst places for bacteria and germs, as well as your computer keyboard. It’s easy to fix this problem, though. If you disinfect their surfaces with disinfectant wipes, hand sanitizer, or soap at least once every few days, you can kill almost all of the germs, and prevent spreading them.

Avoid Touching Your Face

One of the fastest ways to get sick is by getting germs into your body through your eyes, nose, or mouth. To help evade becoming sick, avoid touching your face, so as not to transfer the germs from your hands onto these areas.

Many people believe that face masks will keep you from getting sick, as they believe it protects their face, but this is just a myth. While it will help to keep you from directly touching your face, germs can get through. A face mask will not keep you from becoming sick, so a healthy person should not wear one, and they should not be bought, as organizations working to fight sickness cannot get the supplies they need because of a scramble to buy face masks in bulk.

Stay Home from School

When you are sick, it is essential that you stay home from school. It’s more important to keep your teachers and peers safe than turning in your essay revisions, and your teachers will understand.

If you start to feel symptoms during school, you can ask to see the nurse. On average, about six students go to the nurse to leave school due to sickness every day, according to school nurse Carol Janssens.

Fully Cover Sneezes and Coughs

One of the most common ways to spread and catch diseases is through the air. When you cough or sneeze, you blast germs into the air, so it is important to fully cover. It is not enough to block it with your hand, ideally you should cover with a tissue, fully enclosing your mouth or nose. Afterwards, throw the tissue in the trash, and wash your hand with soap or hand sanitizer.

If you don’t have a tissue, the second best way to cover is in your elbow. Fully envelop your mouth or nose with your elbow. Afterwards, wash or sanitize your elbow and hands.

If you follow these steps, you should stay healthy, but even if you do get sick, you will have the knowledge to keep from spreading it to others.