Yes A-Town, there is a Homecoming

Spirit Week activities planned for fun and safety

Kaitlyn Bitrick, Staff Reporter

Like everything else this year, Spirit Week and the Homecoming dance are affected by Covid. Beginning Monday, Oct. 4 and ending with the dance on Saturday, Oct. 8, students will still have some of the fun opportunities they are used to, with a few changes.

This year’s homecoming theme is Vegas Casino Night and the dance will feature bright lights and school-friendly games.

“The theme is just there for decoration for the dance and helps us come up with ideas for the parade,” leadership teacher Nikki Shrader said. Students are not required to dress in any particular style for the dance, the dress code is simply semi-formal.

The dance will be in the breezeway and have two separate shifts. Upperclassmen will have the first pick between the 6:30-8:00 shift and the 8:30-10:00 shift. “Only AHS students will be allowed to attend the dance to keep numbers low and handle contact tracing,” senior leadership student Jillian Shortridge said.

Students must pre-register using a google form that opened for juniors and seniors at 7 a.m. on Sept. 30.  A separate form will open for underclassmen on Oct. 4 at 7 a.m. Tickets will be $10 and must be paid at the door with cash only.

Although masks are not required for outdoor events, students will be advised to maintain social distancing and avoid clustering at the dance. Even though more restrictions are in place than previous Homecoming dances, “We are trying to bring back the things we know and love; giving kids a chance to socialize,” Shrader said.

Leading up to the Saturday dance, Spirit Week will have a different theme for each day.

Monday’s theme will be the school shirts each student received at the beginning of the school year. If students have not picked up a school shirt, there are still some available in the library.

Tuesday will be neon or tie-dye. Wednesday will be pajama day. Thursday will be generations; freshmen being babies, sophomores being college students, juniors being parents/adults, and seniors being senior citizens. Friday, as usual, will be Patriot Out, so wear your brightest blues and reds to show school spirit.

During lunch throughout the Spirit Week, there will be school-friendly activities including bingo, trivia, scavenger hunts, and minute-to-win-it games during the lunch periods. More information on these activities will be provided on Spirit Week.

“Be patient with us and understanding,” Shrader said. “We wish we could go back to 100% normal and we hope that kids will appreciate that we’re trying our best to remember the fun parts of school.”

Instead of the traditional Friday pep rally, there will be a walking parade after 3B.  Students will stand outside the building while the parade circles the school. Clubs and teams will create colorful posters and play music to get everyone excited about the game. “Everyone will get a chance to either be a part of [the parade] or to watch,” Shortridge said.

If students wish to create a walking float for their club, they can contact Mrs. Shrader or Mr. Lindsay and set up a float with an adult sponsor between now and next Friday.

The pre-game tailgate will still take place in the Patriot Lot directly after school until 6:15 and give students another opportunity to showcase their clubs and get excited about the game. AHS will be playing long-time rivals WAHS when the game kicks off at 7 p.m.

Teachers and students are working as a whole to make the high school experience as spirited and fun as possible while adapting to Covid restrictions, because “Spirit is the self-esteem of the school,” leadership teacher Richard Lindsay said.