• November 3Graduation is June 3 at John Paul Jones Arena
  • November 3New Bell Schedule Begins Feb. 26
  • November 3Spring Break is March 29 - April 7
  • June 13Underclass Picture Days are Sept. 7-8
  • June 13First Day of School is August 23
  • June 13Free Senior Portraits on August 2-3
The official news site of Albemarle High School.

The Revolution

The Revolution

The Revolution

Polls

What's your favorite music genre?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Pros of Being Single on V-Day

It’s that time of year again. Yes, it is Valentine’s Day. It’s the only holiday that consists of people sitting alone having pity parties and crying about their lack of a significant other. Many mope around in jealousy of the breezeway lovebirds. They find it incredibily difficult to enjoy the day because of the constant reminder that they are flying solo. But why is that such a big deal? Being taken should not be a must to enjoy Valentine’s Day. The single life can be just as exciting. Here are your reasons to love being single on Valentine’s Day…

1. No tacky presents

Ladies, we have all seen those typical Valentine’s Day gifts. Chocolate, stuffed animals, practically dead flowers, etc.  You get a gift that you would never like, but you have to pretend that you are in totally in love with it to make your boyfriend feel better about themselves. No boyfriend means no tacky gifts. And guys, you can now feel relief for not having to spend you entire life looking for the best present of all time.

1. No pressure

Both guys and girls can find Valentine’s Day to be extremely stressful. This is because of the many expectations and pressure that the romantic day presents. Whether it is trying to find the right gift or making outrageous plans to impress their boyfriend or girlfriend, many people frantically question how the day will turn out. Such pressure can put a damper on the night, especially if you are set on making everything perfect. Without a significant other, there is no weight on your shoulders to go out of your way for someone.

1. More freedom

Knowing that you have no one to please but yourself makes the day feel a lot more carefree and less of a hassle. If you want to go out for a night on the town, you are able to do so. If you don’t want to go anywhere, you can just put on your comfy pajamas and laugh at and mock the cheesy love stories you find on Lifetime. You don’t have to pile up your plans with someone and have a schedule about how the day should go. You get to enjoy Valentine’s Day your way, by your own rules.

1. More time for friends

On Valentine’s Day, most couples have plans for just the two of them. Although you don’t have a special someone, that is no reason for you to be completely alone during the holiday. Being a loner on Valentine’s Day will just cause you to be in a state of depression. This is the day for you and all of your single friends to come together as a group and turn the holiday into something positive. Perhaps you could really enjoy it by throwing an “I hate Valentine’s Day” party. Whatever the plans may be, you will find Valentine’s Day to be a lot easier to deal with when you have your friends to join in on the occasion.

When it comes to Feb. 14, it should not be a day for singing the blues. Instead of feeling sorry for yourself, feel sorry for the all the couples out there who have to go out of their way to be love-dovey to one another. From now on, Valentine’s Day should be something to look forward to, not something you want to avoid.