200 for Lunch: WandaVision

Brian Teweles, Student Editor

This is the first installment of a new review series, 200 for Lunch, in which we give our opinions on TV shows, foods, and other controversial topics in a bite-sized portion of around 200 words.

WandaVision is a serviceable show on its own, but it performs best as a door that opens up the Marvel Cinematic Universe to the new frontier of streaming television, complete with a pair of A-list superheroes. 

Starring Wanda Maximoff (Elizabeth Olsen) and Vision (Paul Bettany), the titular characters lead the viewer through the decades, starting with a Dick Van Dyke Show-themed first episode. The basis of this “show within a show” changes from week to week, including hits such as I Love Lucy and Full House. This adds a novel aspect that allows for a lighter feel while the stakes for the characters rise. It takes some getting used to, but it’s worth it to stick around, since things start to come into focus around Episode Four. This buildup makes the show especially accessible for viewers who aren’t deeply steeped in MCU lore, since not a ton of background knowledge is needed.

Much of what propels the show are the inferences from fans. Easter eggs here and there spark interest on Reddit and Twitter, leading to heightened excitement for possible cameos and predictions based off of the comics. With The Falcon and the Winter Soldier premiering on March 19. Marvel will try to capitalize off of the enthusiasm that WandaVision has birthed and see if more big-screen characters will work on small ones. 7/10.

WandaVision is available for streaming on Disney+.