• November 3Graduation is June 3 at John Paul Jones Arena
  • November 3New Bell Schedule Begins Feb. 26
  • November 3Spring Break is March 29 - April 7
  • June 13Underclass Picture Days are Sept. 7-8
  • June 13First Day of School is August 23
  • June 13Free Senior Portraits on August 2-3
The official news site of Albemarle High School.

The Revolution

The Revolution

The Revolution

Junior Vivan Gibel’s Love for Rescue Dogs

Anna Zheng
Junior Vivian Gibel smiles for a photo in the library.

“Something that’s making me happy right now is that my favorite dog at the SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) I volunteer at just got adopted. I’m really excited about that. She’s this beautiful pit bull — her name is Bella — and she just went to her forever home.

I just really enjoy seeing all the dogs and working with people. The people that work at the SPCA are probably the nicest people you’ll meet in your life, and I work in the division that makes dog treats, so I basically go in and bake for dogs! I make a bunch of KONG balls or whatever’s on the menu that day. And I just get to see all my cutie patooties hanging out. It does smell a lot of the time, but it’s a good environment. I like it a lot.

Those dogs are the sweetest you’ll ever meet. I think they get a bad rep because, at one point, they were unwanted, but it’s not their faults. The care they get at the SPCA really helps them trust people, and you get to go in and take a dog out for a day to see if you have a connection, so I would really recommend adopting.

I have two dogs, both rescues! I love the cuddle sessions — both of my dogs are very cuddly. It just feels so good to have somebody to cuddle with, like a puppy.”