The official news site of Albemarle High School.

Baseball Closes in on Upcoming Postseason

May 16, 2014

Courtesy of The Peer

Senior pitcher Dwayne Wood shoots the ball to Sophomore first baseman Jacob Nash in their 2-1 victory over Louisa on April 24.

The Patriots started off the season with a shaky 4-4 start but have turned it around by winning the last five of six games.

“We have struggled with being a team,” junior Kevin Bromberger said. “There is a lot of skill on the team, but we hadn’t really worked as a single unit until our last two games.”

This year’s team features multiple sophomores in pitcher Nic Parsons, first baseman Jacob Nash, and outfielder Quinn Gibson. The young team has rebounded quickly and are currently focused on the upcoming postseason.

Due to the recent change of districts, Albemarle has faced bigger and stronger guys that haven’t been faced before according to senior Drew Shifflet.

Amherst has the best pitching alongside a strong batting core according to Nash.

“It’s hard to tell at this point,” Bromberger said, “But If we start acting and playing like a family, we have a chance to win some post season games.”

The Pats have three games remaining this season, at home against Fluvanna and Harrisonburg and then they finish the regular season away to Louisa.

“We just need to take it one game at a time,” Nash said.