The official news site of Albemarle High School.

Softball Meets Adversity with Teamwork

May 16, 2014

Photo by Katie Pajewski

Senior pitcher Emily McAllister trots home for one of Albemarle’s 14 runs in a blowout win over Western Albemarle 14-4 on April 11.

On April 21, the Varsity Softball team was up 4-2 going into the bottom half of the seventh inning in a game against Monticello. Then, the team made three mistakes in a row.

“It’s not what cost us the game, because we had opportunities to help push us forward a little more. It’s just that’s what you always remember: those last inning things. You never remember what happened in the first or second inning,” varsity head coach Charlie Scott said.

“Our big saying now is ‘move on.’”

With a record of 5-9 at press time, this year’s softball team has faced an up and down season against a variety of competition levels throughout the Jefferson District.

“We’ve reversed roles since last year,” Scott said. “Last year our bread and butter was defense. We played solid defense all year long. This year it’s sort of flip flopped: We’re scoring lots of runs, we’re hitting the ball very well, our batting average right now is up 110 or 115 points from last year, but our defensive fielding percentage is way down.”

After four seasons of assistant coaching the Varsity team, Scott has moved up to head coach with an intent to establish a more unified and positive softball team. By implementing his sports philosophies, Scott has strongly emphasized a team-first attitude for all players.

“I don’t want individuals. I don’t want groups. This is a team sport, so we need to play as a team and act as a team,” Scott said. “It’s not about what’s best for you, it’s about what’s best for Albemarle softball.”

Senior pitcher Emily McAllister mentions that there is a stronger focus and concentration on character this season. Through a program called Character Curriculum that Varsity Softball Assistant Coach, Sue Vidano, brought to the team this season, each player keeps a binder with motivational articles and sayings to inspire them. The team also conducts group discussions on traits such as energy, attitude, and effort.

“There’s a word we focus on each week,” McAllister said. “Then at the end of each week, the coaches select a person who best demonstrated the trait of that week and they get a character award.”

The program is not only meant to teach athletes a good lesson, but get them thinking about life. “High school kids get caught up in so much,” Vidano said. “[The program] makes them stop and think about more than just softball, and more than just being a talented softball player.”

Other changes this season include new practice uniforms, more dedicated lifting time in the weight room and a different team structure.

“We moved some players around a little bit, [so that] it fits our needs as a team more so than what they would prefer,” Scott said. “I know there are some athletes on the team who would rather be in other places, but they fit the mold of Albemarle softball better with where they are right now, and we’re working on the understanding of that.”

McAllister recognizes, and loves, the challenges she comes across in softball. “I think a lot of people underestimate how hard it is to play softball because they don’t understand how technical the game is and how much thinking is involved,” McAllister said.

Scott sees his methods of coaching and the character program to expose players to softball at the college level. “This is not a college program by any stretch of the imagination. I’m not trying to make it be like one. But if they want to play at the next level they’ve got to learn what it’s going to be like, and I’m trying to give them a small taste of that,” Scott said.

Overall, Scott is proud of the individual commitment of each player and the support they have for one another. “We’re only as strong as our weakest link. I know that’s an old cliché, but our team is only going to be as strong as our weakest player, and if we don’t help her to build her skills, and if the best player we have doesn’t continue to build her skills, and nobody pushes her, she’s going to fall down to the middle. Everybody’s got to push everybody no matter if you’re the best or the worst,” Scott said.

“Everyone is encouraging but also honest with each other and I think we really try to help each other out. We’ve also had some huge hits and incredible plays that make me proud to play on the Albemarle softball team,” McAllister said.

As far as the rest of the season, the team aims to continue their positive streak into the Conference Tournament.

“Every win’s a great win, no matter if it’s a 15-nothing or a 1-nothing. You had to do something right to get to that point,” Scott said.