The official news site of Albemarle High School.

Barbour Breaks Career Record

January 6, 2015

Angel+Johnson+was+the+last+to+break+the+Albemarle+basketball+career+record+with+1354+points.+Senior+point+guard+KK+Barbour+is+set+to+break+this+record+in+tonights+game+against+Orange.+

Bailey Bush

Angel Johnson was the last to break the Albemarle basketball career record with 1354 points. Senior point guard KK Barbour is set to break this record in tonight’s game against Orange.

Online Exclusive

In the girls’ varsity basketball game tonight against Orange, senior guard KK Barbour is set to beat Albemarle’s basketball career record for both the girls’ and boys’ teams.

The highest career record of 1354 points was last set by Angel Johnson in 1998. Only half-way through her last high school basketball season, Barbour needs two more points to officially beat the career record.

Barbour, however, has the game’s purpose in mind: winning.

“I haven’t actually thought about the record,” Barbour said. “I just want to beat Orange because they’re talking a lot of trash. They think that they’re better than us, which I don’t agree with, so that’s all I’m really worried about, is beating them.”

Albemarle and Orange have other plans for tonight’s big moment.

“When she breaks it, because she only needs two points to break it, Orange has been really nice and they’re going to stop the game and make an announcement, and then we’ll continue to play,” athletic director Deb Tyson said. “At the end of the game, Coach Proudfoot is going to give her the game ball and they’ll give Orange a new ball to replace the one we’re giving to KK.”

Tyson is proud that another female is going to break the record for boys and girls, but also believes that Barbour’s selflessness and teamwork are things to celebrate as well.

“She’s the first to compliment her teammates, which is really admirable,” Tyson said.

This is the Lady Patriots’ first game against Orange this season. Head out to Orange for their game tonight at 7:30.

Update:

Barbour shattered the AHS career scoring record seven seconds into the game against Orange. She went on to score 37 more points during the game, bringing her career total up to 1392.

The Lady Pats defeated Orange with a score of 50-47.

View Comments(1)
About the Contributors
Photo of Melanie Arthur
Melanie Arthur, Editor-in-Chief

Melanie Arthur is a senior and co-editor-in-chief of The Revolution with the darling Kate Edson, and is incredibly excited to be a part of the J-Squad...

Photo of Bailey Bush
Bailey Bush, Business Editor

Bailey Bush Sr. is the business editor of The Revolution and a fourth year on staff. She plays Varsity field hockey and is a member of People Who Watch...

The Revolution • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (1)

All The Revolution Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• I

Ingrid BooneJan 18, 2015 at 8:35 am

I don’t follow basketball, but enjoyed reading this tight article about this player.
    …might switch a coupe things:
    In “Tyson is proud…..,”delete “also” or “as well.”
    Only because your piece may follow Ms. Barbour for many years to come!

Reply
1