Passion for Powderpuff

Ryleigh Katstra, Staff Reporter

The annual AHS Powderpuff game was Thursday, Nov 10- where the classes would compete for the championship. The seniors and the freshmen kicked off at 7:00 on one end of the turf, with the juniors and sophomores following shortly after on the opposite end.

The seniors got off to a quick start, with Anne Ridenhour and Caroline Littman scoring early in the first quarter to put their team up by 16. The freshmen remained scoreless for the rest of the half, and their defense was unable to stop Littman as she scored again. Senior Leticia Frietas followed that touchdown with a spin move into the endzone for the 2-point conversion.

Throughout the second half, both the seniors and the freshmen could not score. Late in the third quarter, Ridenhour ran for another six points to put the freshmen down by 24. Immediately following that big touchdown, the freshmen threw their first interception of the night and it resulted in six more points for the seniors. From there, the freshmen couldn’t come back and the seniors shut out the freshmen with another touchdown by Frietas.

On the other end of the field, the juniors and the sophomores both scored early on in the game. The sophomores then scored again in the second quarter but were unable to complete the two point conversion.

It was a back and forth running game until junior Ellie Cain scored for the juniors to end the third quarter. Junior Morgan Rose then ran into the end zone, complete with a couple spins and quick fake outs, to score again. The sophomores could not score against the junior defense and they threw an interception right to the juniors, ending the game.

In the consolation game between the sophomores and freshmen, the freshmen were determined to finally score. Their defense proved to be no match for sophomore Kelsey Myers, though, as she scored three minutes into the first half. The freshmen managed to get two first downs before dropping the snap and turning the ball over to the sophomores. 8-0 at the half, sophomores.

The second half did not have any scoring until halfway through, with sophomore Amori Speed running into the end zone to put the sophomores up 14-0. The freshmen managed to return the punt for 20 yards, but then fumbled for a loss of ten yards as the clock ran out.

The championship game started out with sacks and penalties on both sides of the turf. It was not until there were 31.6 seconds showing on the clock that the seniors scored the first touchdown of the game. In the next half, Ridenhour ran again for an end zone to end zone touchdown.

The seniors were determined to not be scored on all night long, and that showed throughout the last game. The junior quarterback got sacked late in the second half and then senior Aiyannah Tyler-Cooper threw a bomb down the field for the final touchdown of the night. The seniors won the Powerpuff tournament 18-0.