2022-23 Girls Basketball Preview

Senior+guard+Kayley+Maynard+looks+for+an+opening+to+get+around+a+determined+CHS+player.+

Jennifer Hoovis

Senior guard Kayley Maynard looks for an opening to get around a determined CHS player.

Hunter Cooper, Staff Reporter

Winter is coming and basketball is back. 

The girls’ basketball team looks to build on their 13-8 season from last year as well as recover from key losses Emma McMullan and first team all Jefferson District Forward Amaya Pendleton and build on their 13-8 season from last year. 

Led by second-team all-Jefferson District senior guards Kaley Maynard and Lauren Grady, along with sophomore Emma Bingler, the Patriots come in with relatively high expectations: “All we need to do is play like the best team in the District, because I know that we are,” head coach Rachel Proudfoot said.

“The five seniors have incredible leadership abilities,” Proudfoot said. “They’ve really helped us hammer in the concept of a family-first team.” 

Coming into the season the team has one freshman and a lot of sophomores. “We’re hoping to create a really strong bond that will help us and motivate us throughout the season,” senior Maggie Lynn said. 

One of the biggest concerns for the Patriots is their lack of bigger players, but the team feels confident they can overcome that. “We’re a shorter team, but we’re scrappy and we can fight to prove we’re worthy,” Maynard said.

“We’re extremely athletic and fast, and as long as we run the floor and use that to our advantage, we’re excited for what we can accomplish,” Grady said.

The players were quick to praise Proudfoot, with Grady adding that “her energy and knowledge of the game really helps the team improve.”

The players believe this team is stronger than last year’s for two reasons: experience and bonding. “We had a ton of freshmen last year and they’ve gained a lot of experience,” senior Caroline Perkins said. “We also have a couple pairs of sisters on the team, which really adds to that family mentality.”

“We have a really positive, uplifting team this year, and of course, it helps that we’ve played with each other before,” senior Kalli Davis said.

Albemarle is off to a slow start with a 57-26 loss at Patrick Henry in their Dec. 2 season-opener, but will look to bounce back against William Fleming on Dec. 9 in the home-opener.