Statue Situation: Lee and Jackson parks

Milo Penzell, Staff Reporter

Two torch-bearing rallies were held in both Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson parks on May 13. This was in reaction to the city’s decision to sell the statutes of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. Then a candle-lit vigil was held as a counter protest the following night.
The first protest took place at the Stonewall Jackson statue, at the same time as the multicultural festival was taking place in Lee Park. “What brings us together is that we are white, we are a people,” Alt-right.com co-founder Richard Spencer said in a Twitter video he filmed at the scene.
“We will not be replaced,” Spencer said. Alt-right members believe that multiculturalism is destroying “white culture.”
Protesters believe the city is at fault for not preserving the statues and don’t support the decisions to sell the statues. Many believe that the city has fallen into the control of “political-correctness” and want to erase history.
The rally continued at about 9 p.m. that night in Lee Park. Chants heard at the rally were “Russia is our friend,” “You will not replace us,” and “Blood and soil,” which is a phrase associated with the Nazi party. Also featured prominently was a sign with “Identity Europa,”a phrase associated with white supremacist groups.
A backlash against the rally began quickly, with some worried about how Charlottesville looks to the world. “It just makes everything to look worse,” sophomore Charlotte Austin said.
The counter-protest the following night appeared to be much larger than the predicted 150 protesters that came to the rallies. “It was really necessary [to have the counter protest] to help stop the hate,” senior Kendra Jones said.
“We are going to be looked at differently,” freshman Jahki Grooms said. He thinks that the nation won’t believe we are a welcoming town and perceive Charlottesville to be filled with violence and hate.
Senior Sekija Smith believes onlookers’ reactions would be along the lines of, “Wow, let’s not go there, let’s not send out kids to UVA”, and that “many people of color won’t want to come here.”
Grooms explained that before this became national news, he didn’t really know the history of the statues and felt as if they hadn’t really affected anything. But, he did believe that moving the statues was a symbolic move to improve race relations for the city.
As of May 31, there are rumors of a confederate rally at Lee park starting at 10am. There is now a conter protest being held at Lee park in responce to the alleged protest.