Counselor Emily Holmstrom
- Counselor for AVID students and students with surnames from Tay-Whe.
- Four years teaching high school science and 14 years counseling: three years counseling middle schoolers, 10 years counseling elementary schoolers, one year counseling high schoolers.
- “When I was a high school teacher, I really loved high school, I loved all of it. It was like my first grown-up job. Then, after so many years of teaching, I saw what school counselors did at the high school, and I was very interested in seeing students more individually and having more time in my day for conversations. It’s funny because this is my first year in high school. I just kind of took jobs where they were offered. I was never planning on being an elementary school counselor for 10 years, but I ended up really liking that, and that’s what I did for a really long time. And then Mr. Bonham called me up this summer and really wanted me to come over here. I just really like working with students, and there’s so much life in a high school, like so much going on, and I just like being a part of it.”
- “Saturday’s really nice — I’ve got three small kids, ages 9, 7, and 4. Saturday is like our day to be together, move slower. We live out in the country, so we spend a lot of time outside. We do a lot of gardening, we like hiking — we’re nature people.”
- “I know how to solve a Rubik’s cube. A lot of people have that toy, but they don’t know what to do with it. It was my greatest accomplishment during COVID when I didn’t have to go to work anymore. And I was like, ‘What can I do to keep my brain active?’ and I had this toy, so I was like, ‘I’m going to learn to solve this Rubik’s cube.’ And I did.”