The official news site of Albemarle High School.

Students Submerge in the Ice Bucket Challenge

September 11, 2014

All around the globe, people and celebrities alike have been participating in the Ice Bucket Challenge to raise awareness for ALS.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a neurological disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. The decreasing of the motor neurons eventually leads to their death.

According to the ALS association, “When the motor neurons die, the ability of the brain to initiate and control muscle movement is lost and patients in the later stages of the disease may become totally paralyzed.”

The ice bucket challenge not only build awareness for ALS, but also helps to get donations for this cause.  When you participate in the challenge, you dump a bucket of ice on your head so that you can feel the paralyzation that people diagnosed with this disease experience.

After getting soaked, you can donate to the ALS association and give hope to not only the people with this harmful disease, but also their family and friends.

Many celebrities have been participating in this amazing challenge and donating to this cause. From successful models like Kate Moss and powerful women such as editor in chief of Vogue, Anna Wintour, everyone is taking part in this cause.

Notable celebrities who took part in it were Zac Efron, Emma Stone, Adam Levine, and Oprah. With basically every celebrity participating, this influences their fans and viewers to do it as well.

According to the ALS association,  “As of Wednesday, August 27th we have received $94.3 million in donations compared to $2.7 million during the same time period last year.

These donations have come from existing donors and 2.1 million new donors. The ALS Association is tremendously thankful for all of the generous support and awareness that this summer phenomenon has generated for the cause.”