The official news site of Albemarle High School.

The Revolution

AHS and MHS go head to head on camera

Kate Ferguson, Staff Reporter

For the first time in Albemarle and Monticello High School history, the AHS Filmmaking classes had some competition. May 16 was the first AHS vs. MHS Film Festival in the AHS auditorium.

Drawing in a considerable crowd, the filmmaking students were at the ready, handing out popcorn and a detailed program of events. The program highlighted the names of the major production crew of each film, as well as run time and title.

A clear winner of the film festival was not chosen, as Monticello does not have an official filmmaking class thus putting them at a disadvantage and this was just a little friendly competition. However, when put up to the test, Monticello provided interesting and thought-provoking content to balance out Albemarle’s more silly and fun films.

“Our first year we had a pretty small turnout, but each year we do it we see a few more people, so hopefully as we continue to host our festival more and more people will come out and see what we’re doing.” AHS Junior Lily Casteen said, “But we were able to showcase a pretty wide variety of narrative, documentary, and experimental films from both Albemarle and Monticello, so we were able to see what students at the other schools have been working on.”

Monticello used editing and special effects to convey the moods of their scenes. With sharp transitions and spooky background music, the Monticello films tended to favor creepy horror movies with shocking twists and turns.

Albemarle based their films on stories and clear dialogue, with edited explosions and seamless transitions between scenes. A few extra films that were shot outside of school and were purely for entertainment and to add length to the program

Having the MHS films this year filled out the program and, more importantly, gave the filmmakers from both schools a chance to see what other young filmmakers are doing,” AHS Filmmaking teacher Trevor Przyuski said, “There was such diversity in the styles and stories. It made for a great event. We hope to get even more schools involved in the filmmaking process and making it a county-wide event.”

Though the only prize may be the satisfaction of seeing a film on the big screen, there is no doubt that next year’s AHS v MHS film festival will be a definite must-see.